- Chang, W., Applegate, P., Haran, M. and Keller, K. (2014) Probabilistic calibration of a Greenland Ice Sheet model using spatially-resolved synthetic observations: toward projections of ice mass loss with uncertainties> , online discussion paper in Geoscientific Model Development, the scientific discussion forum of GMD
- Goldstein, J., Haran, M., Simeonov, I., Fricks, J., and Chiaromonte, F. (2014) An attraction-repulsion point process model for respiratory syncytial virus infections submitted
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2014) Fast dimension-reduced climate model calibration and the effect of data aggregation, the Annals of Applied Statistics, in press (Winner of the 2014 American Statistical Association Section on Statistics and the Environment Student Paper Competition)
- Katz, R.W., Craigmile, P.F., Guttorp, P., Haran, M., Sanso, B. and Stein, M.L. (2013) Uncertainty Analysis in Climate Change Assessments , Nature Climate Change, 3, 769–771 .
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2014) A composite likelihood approach to computer model calibration with high-dimensional spatial data, accepted for publication in Statistica Sinica
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., Bjornstad, O.N. and Grenfell, B.T. (2014) Emulating a gravity model to infer the spatiotemporal dynamics of an infectious disease Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, 63, 3, pp. 423–444.
- Olson, R., Sriver, R., Chang, W., Haran, M., Urban, N.M., Keller, K. (2013) Uncertainty in climate sensitivity estimates due to random realizations of unresolved climate noise, to appear in Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres.
- Tibbits, M.M., Groendyke, C., Haran, M., and Liechty, J.C. (2013) Automated Factor Slice Sampling, to appear in the Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics
- Bao, L., Fricks, J., and Haran, M. (2012) Discussion of Bayesian
Spatio-Dynamic Modeling in Cell Motility Studies: Learning Nonlinear
Taxic Fields Guiding Immune Response, Journal of the American
- Bhat, K.S., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2012)
Inferring likelihoods and climate system characteristics from climate
models and multiple tracers , Environmetrics, 23, 24, 345--362.
- Olson, R., Sriver, R., Goes, M., Urban, N.M., Matthews, H.D., Haran, M., and Keller, K. (2012) A climate sensitivity estimate using Bayesian fusion of instrumental observations and an Earth System model, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 117, D4, 1984--2012.
- Hughes, J. and Haran, M. (2013), Dimension Reduction and
Alleviation of Confounding for Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models
, Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 75, 1, 139--159.
- Tingley, M., Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt-Shamseldin, E. and Rajaratnam, B. (2012), Piecing together the past: Statistical insights into paleoclimatic reconstructions , Quarternary Science Reviews, 35, 1--22.
- Recta, V., Haran, M., and Rosenberger, J.L. (2012)
A two-stage model for incidence and prevalence in point-level spatial count data , Environmetrics, 23, 2, 162--174. bibtex
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., and Ferrari, M. (2012) A Compartmental Model for Meningitis: Separating Transmission from Climate Effects on Disease Incidence, Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 2012, 17, 3, 395--416.
- Haran, M. and Tierney, L. (2012) On automating Markov chain Monte Carlo for a class of spatial models
- Hughes, J.P., Haran, M., and Caragea, P.C. (2011), Autologistic models for binary data on a lattice , Environmetrics, 7, 857--871.
- Bhat, K.S., Haran, M., Terando, A.J. and Keller, K. (2011) Climate Projections Using Bayesian Model Averaging and Space-Time Dependence. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 16, 4, pp. 606--628.
- Haran, M. and Urban, N. (2010), Discussion of McShane and Wyner ``A
statistical analysis of multiple temperature proxies: are
reconstructions of surface temperatures over the last 1000 years
reliable? Annals of Applied Statistics. See all the discussions and the rejoinder here
- Tibbits, M.M., Haran, M., and Liechty, J.C. (2011)
Parallel multivariate slice sampling , Statistics and Computing 21, 3, 415--430.
- Bhat, K.S., Haran, M., and Goes, M. (2010)
Computer model calibration with multivariate spatial output , in "Frontiers of Statistical Decision Making and Bayesian Analysis", eds. M-H. Chen et al., New York: Springer-Verlag, 2010, pp. 168--184. bibtex
- Haran, M. (2011)
Gaussian random field models for spatial data, to appear in Handbook of Markov chain Monte Carlo, Editors, Brooks, S.P., Gelman, A.E. Jones, G.L. and Meng, X.L., Springer-Verlag. bibtex
- Goes, M., Urban, N., Olson, R., Haran, M., and Keller, K. (2010)
The skill of different ocean tracers in reducing uncertainties about projections of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation , Journal of Geophysical Research--Oceans, in press bibtex
- Haran, M., Bhat, K.S., Molineros, J, and De Wolf, E. (2009)
Estimating the risk of a crop epidemic from coincident spatiotemporal processes , Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 1085-7117. bibtex
- Yang, T., Teng, H., and Haran, M. (2009) The impacts of social capital on infant mortalities in the U.S.: a spatial investigation Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, 2, 3, 211--227.
- Yang, T., Jensen, L., and Haran, M. (2009) Social Capital and
Human Mortality: Explaining the Rural Paradox with County-Level Mortality
Data, accepted for publication in Rural Sociology.
- Flegal, J.M., Haran, M., and Jones, G.L. (2008) Markov chain Monte
Carlo: Can we trust the third significant figure?
Statistical Science, 23,250--260. bibtex
Code that implements the consistent batch means
procedure for MCMC standard errors as described in the paper: R function
and C function
for consistent batch means
- Yang, T., Jensen, L., and Haran, M. (2008) Context and death: A spatial investigation of the impacts of social capital and natural amenities on mortality in the U.S. counties, refereed discussion paper, Proceedings of the Population Association of America.
- Haran, M., Karr,A.F., Last,M., Orso,A. Porter,A., Sanil, A.P. and Fouche, S. (2007) Techniques for Classifying Executions of Deployed Software to Support Software Engineering Tasks, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering , 33,5:287-304. bibtex
- Jones, G.L., Haran, M., Caffo, B.S. and Neath, R. (2006)
Fixed Width Output Analysis for Markov chain Monte Carlo ,
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101:1537--1547. bibtex
- Haran, M., Karr, A.F., Orso, A., Porter, A. and Sanil, A.P. (2005) Applying Classification Techniques to
Remotely-Collected Program Execution Data in ESEC/FSE-13: Proceedings of the 10th European software engineering conference held jointly with 13th ACM SIGSOFT international symposium on Foundations of software engineering. bibtex
- Haran, M. (2003) Efficient Perfect and MCMC Sampling Methods for Bayesian Spatial and Components of Variance Models, Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota.
- Haran, M.,
Hodges, J.S., and
Carlin, B.P., (2003)
Accelerating computation in Markov random field models for spatial
data via structured MCMC,, Journal of Comp. and
Graph. Statistics , 12, 249-264. bibtex
- Haran, M.,
Carlin, B.P., Adgate, J.L., Ramachandran, G., Waller, L.A.,
and Gelfand, A.E.,
Bayes models for relating particulate matter exposure measures,,
Case Studies in Bayesian Statistics, Volume VI, eds. C.Gatsonis, et
al., New York: Springer-Verlag, 2002. bibtex
Edited Volumes/Special Issues
Return to home page
- Modern Statistical Methods in Ecology , Statistical Methodology Special Issue , Edited by Peter F. Craigmile and Murali Haran. Volume 17, Pages 1-160, March 2014.
- Special Issue on Computer Models and Spatial Statistics in Environmental Science, Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics , Edited by Brian J. Reich and Murali Haran. Volume 16, Issue 4, December 2011.