Primary Research Interests |
For more on my research, Ph.D. students etc. please
see background and research.
- Statistical computing, primarily Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithms
- Models for spatial data: Gaussian random field models, Bayesian hierarchical models
- Complex computer models/computer experiments: statistical emulation and calibration
- Cross-disciplinary research in environmental sciences: climate science, disease modeling, ecology
Selected Papers (link to longer list of publications and google scholar references ) and cv
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2014) Fast dimension-reduced climate model calibration and the effect of data aggregation, the Annals of Applied Statistics, in press (Winner of the 2014 American Statistical Association Section on Statistics and the Environment Student Paper Competition)
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., Bjornstad, O.N. and Grenfell, B.T. (2014) Emulating a gravity model to infer the spatiotemporal dynamics of an infectious disease Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, 63, 3, pp. 423–444.
- Tibbits, M.M., Groendyke, C., Haran, M., and Liechty, J.C. (2014) Automated Factor Slice Sampling, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 23, 2, 543.
- Katz, R.W., Craigmile, P.F., Guttorp, P., Haran, M., Sanso, B. and Stein, M.L. (2013) Uncertainty Analysis in Climate Change Assessments , Nature Climate Change, 3, 769–771 .
- Hughes, J. and Haran, M. (2013), Dimension Reduction and
Alleviation of Confounding for Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models
, Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 75, 1, 139--159.
Software for this approach may be found here: ngspatial
- Tingley, M., Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt-Shamseldin, E. and Rajaratnam, B. (2012), Piecing together the past: Statistical insights into paleoclimatic reconstructions , Quarternary Science Reviews, 35, 1--22.
- Haran, M. (2011)
Gaussian random field models for spatial data, in Handbook of Markov chain Monte Carlo, Editors, Brooks, S.P., Gelman, A.E. Jones, G.L. and Meng, X.L., Springer-Verlag. bibtex
- Hughes, J.P., Haran, M., and Caragea, P.C. (2011), Autologistic models for binary data on a lattice , Environmetrics, 7, 857--871.
- Flegal, J.M., Haran, M., and Jones, G.L. (2008) Markov chain Monte Carlo: Can we trust the third
significant figure? Statistical Science,
for consistent batch means estimator for MCMC standard errors as described in the paper: R
package on CRAN , R function
and C function
- Jones, G.L., Haran, M., Caffo, B.S. and Neath, R. (2006)
Fixed Width Output Analysis for Markov chain Monte Carlo ,
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101:1537--1547. bibtex
Stats Undergrads: information on scheduling appointments, undergrad program etc. (If you do not hear back from me, please email me again. I occasionally lose track of emails because ).
- Chair of the Penn State Statistics Undergraduate Program
- Schreyer Honors College adviser for Statistics and Honors College thesis adviser
- I organize the weekly SMAC (Stochastic Modeling and Computing) seminar series:
- Associate Editor: Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, Bayesian Analysis, The American Statistician, and (past) Biometrics
- Chair of the American Statistical Association (ASA) Section on Risk Analysis 2013-2014
- Treasurer for the International Society for Bayesian Analysis ( ISBA ) 2013--2017
- Climate Science Related Roles:
- Co-leader for Uncertainty Quantification Group in the NSF network SCRiM (Sustainable Climate Risk Management), multi-institution network with Penn State as the hub
- Director of the Penn State Node of the NSF research network STATMOS , Statistical Methods for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences.
- Member of the ASA Advisory Committee on Climate Change Policy 2009--2013
- Co-Director of CLIMA Center for Climate Risk Management at Penn State.
- I co-organized the Workshop on
Environmetrics (ENVR 2012)
at North Carolina State University from October 4-6,
Everything Else: non-academic