Primary Research Interests |
For more on my research, Ph.D. students etc. please
see background and research.
- Statistical computing, primarily Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithms
- Models for spatial data: Gaussian random field models, Bayesian hierarchical models
- Complex computer models/computer experiments: statistical emulation and calibration
- Cross-disciplinary research in environmental sciences: climate science, disease modeling, ecology
Selected Papers (link to longer list of publications )
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2014) Fast dimension-reduced climate model calibration, the Annals of Applied Statistics, in press (Winner of the 2014 American Statistical Association Section on Statistics and the Environment Student Paper Competition)
- Katz, R.W., Craigmile, P.F., Guttorp, P., Haran, M., Sanso, B. and Stein, M.L. (2013) Uncertainty Analysis in Climate Change Assessments , Nature Climate Change, 3, 769–771 .
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., Bjornstad, O.N. and Grenfell, B.T. (2014) Emulating a gravity model to infer the spatiotemporal dynamics of an infectious disease Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C, 63, 3, pp. 423–444.
- Hughes, J. and Haran, M. (2013), Dimension Reduction and
Alleviation of Confounding for Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models
, Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 75, 1, 139--159.
Software for this approach may be found here: ngspatial
- Tibbits, M.M., Groendyke, C., Haran, M., and Liechty, J.C. (2013) Automated Factor Slice Sampling, to appear in the Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics
- Tingley, M., Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt-Shamseldin, E. and Rajaratnam, B. (2012), Piecing together the past: Statistical insights into paleoclimatic reconstructions , Quarternary Science Reviews, 35, 1--22.
- Haran, M. (2011)
Gaussian random field models for spatial data, in Handbook of Markov chain Monte Carlo, Editors, Brooks, S.P., Gelman, A.E. Jones, G.L. and Meng, X.L., Springer-Verlag. bibtex
- Hughes, J.P., Haran, M., and Caragea, P.C. (2011), Autologistic models for binary data on a lattice , Environmetrics, 7, 857--871.
- Flegal, J.M., Haran, M., and Jones, G.L. (2008) Markov chain Monte Carlo: Can we trust the third
significant figure? Statistical Science,
for consistent batch means estimator for MCMC standard errors as described in the paper: R
package on CRAN , R function
and C function
- Jones, G.L., Haran, M., Caffo, B.S. and Neath, R. (2006)
Fixed Width Output Analysis for Markov chain Monte Carlo ,
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101:1537--1547. bibtex
Stats Undergrads: information on scheduling appointments, undergrad program etc. (If you do not hear back from me, please email me again. I occasionally lose track of emails because ).
- Chair of the Penn State Statistics Undergraduate Program
- Schreyer Honors College adviser for Statistics and Honors College thesis adviser
- I organize the weekly SMAC (Stochastic Modeling and Computing) seminar series:
- Associate Editor: Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, Bayesian Analysis, (past) Biometrics
- Chair of the American Statistical Association (ASA) Section on Risk Analysis 2013-2014
- Treasurer for the International Society for Bayesian Analysis ( ISBA ) 2013--2017
- Member of the ASA Advisory Committee on Climate Change Policy 2009--2013
- I co-organized the Workshop on
Environmetrics (ENVR 2012)
at North Carolina State University from October 4-6,
Everything Else: non-academic