I am an associate professor of statistics at Pennsylvania State
University. I received my Ph.D. from
the School of Statistics at the
University of Minnesota and a B.S. in
Computer Science (with minors in Statistics, Mathematics and Film)
from Carnegie Mellon University. I was a postdoctoral fellow at
the National Institute of Statistical
Sciences (courtesy appointment at Duke University)
(2003--2004) and a New Research Fellow at the Statistical and
Applied Mathematical Sciences
Institute (SAMSI) program
(2009--2010) on space-time analysis. I spent my sabbatical
(2011--2012) at the
Department of Statistics, University of Washington, Seattle. I
provide below a summary of my
My research interests include statistical computing (Markov chain
Monte Carlo algorithms) and models for spatial data and computer
experiments (primarily involving Gaussian random fields and Bayesian
hierarchical models), with applications to problems in climate
science, disease modeling, ecology and epidemiology. I have also
worked on statistical techniques called random forests for
applications in software engineering research. For more, please see:
background and more on my research.
Select recent papers (link to longer list: publications )
- Chang, W., Haran, M., Olson, R., and Keller, K. (2013) Fast dimension-reduced climate model calibration , submitted
- Tingley, M., Craigmile, P.F., Haran, M., Li, B., Mannshardt-Shamseldin, E. and Rajaratnam, B. (2012), Piecing together the past: Statistical insights into paleoclimatic reconstructions , Quarternary Science Reviews, 35, 1--22.
- Hughes, J. and Haran, M. (2012), Dimension Reduction and
Alleviation of Confounding for Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models
, Journal of the Royal
Statistical Society, Series B, 75, 1, 139--159.
Software for this approach can be found here: ngspatial
- Jandarov, R., Haran, M., and Ferrari, M. (2012) "A Compartmental Model for Meningitis: Separating Transmission from Climate Effects on Disease Incidence," Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 2012, 17, 3, 395--416.
- Tibbits, M.M., Haran, M., Liechty, J.L. (2011)
Parallel multivariate slice sampling , Statistics and Computing, 21, 3, 415--430.
- Haran, M. (2011)
Gaussian random field models for spatial data, in Handbook of Markov chain Monte Carlo, Editors, Brooks, S.P., Gelman, A.E. Jones, G.L. and Meng, X.L., Springer-Verlag. bibtex
- Flegal, J.M., Haran, M., and Jones, G.L. (2008) Markov chain Monte Carlo: Can we trust the third
significant figure? Statistical Science,
implements the consistent batch means procedure for MCMC standard
errors as described in the paper: R
package on CRAN , R function
and C function
for consistent batch means
- Jones, G.L., Haran, M., Caffo, B.S. and Neath, R. (2006)
Fixed Width Output Analysis for Markov chain Monte Carlo ,
Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101:1537--1547. bibtex
- Statistical Computing (STAT 540), fall 2013 (coming soon)
- Computational Statistics (STAT 440), spring 2013 (also spring 2011)
- Introduction to Probability Theory (STAT 414: Sections 2 and 4), fall 2012 (also spring 2009, fall 2010).
- Stochastic Processes and Monte Carlo Methods (STAT 515), spring 2011 , (also spring 2005-2010).
- Spatial Models (STAT 597A) (fall 2006, 2007, spring 2010).
- Elementary Statistics (STAT 200 (Honors)), fall 2004-2008.
- Advances in Ecology (ECLGY 597B), fall 2006-2008
- MCMC Tutorial for Center for Astrostatistics Summer School, June 2005-2010.
- Elementary Statistics (STAT 200), fall 2004.
- Penn State
- I organize the working group on Stochastic Modeling and Computing:
- Chair of the undergraduate program at Penn State Statistics.
- I am one of the graduate academic advisers (I advise incoming Ph.D. students to the Department of Statistics).
- Dissertation (thesis) adviser to several students at Penn State Statistics. For a list of current and past students click here.
- Schreyer Honors College adviser for Statistics. This role includes advising students who want to do a senior honors thesis.
- Chair of the faculty search committee
- Member of cyberscience cluster hire committee (3 colleges across Penn State).
- Statistics Profession
- I am an associate editor for the Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics , and Bayesian Analysis and past associate editor for Biometrics
- I have served/am serving as guest editor for special issues of the Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics and Statistical Methodology.
- Editorial Management Committee member for the Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics (JABES).
- As of January 2013 I am the chair of the American Statistical Association's Section on Risk Analysis; I was chair-elect in 2012.
- I have been a member of the American Statistical Association's Advisory Committee on Climate Change Policy since 2009.
- I co-organized the Workshop on
Environmetrics (ENVR 2012)
, which was held at North Carolina State University from October 4-6,
2012. There was an invited program featuring a number of leading
researchers, two half-day tutorials on spatial modeling and extremes,
and a poster session.
Everything Else (non-academic)