Finding a confidence interval and a prediction interval for
- Select Stat >> Regression >> Regression ...
- Specify the response and the predictor(s).
- Select Options... In the box labeled “Prediction intervals
for new observations,” specify either the x value or
a column name containing multiple x values.
Specify the Confidence level — the default is
95%. Select OK.
- Select OK. The output will appear in the session window.
For people of the same age and gender, height is often
considered a good predictor of weight. The data set htwtmales.txt contains
the heights (ht, in cm) and weights (wt, in kg) of a sample of 14 males
between the ages of 19 and 26 years.
- Find a 95% prediction interval for the weight of a randomly selected
male, aged 19 to 26, who is 170 centimeters tall.
- Find a 95% confidence interval for the average weight of all males,
aged 19 to 26, who are 170 centimeters tall.
Minitab dialog boxes
Resulting Sample Minitab Output